Wednesday, March 8, 2017

#SOL17 Day 8 - The Most Important Meal of the Day

I don't know what got into me this morning. Breakfast is always a no-brainer. I always have a pot of steel cut oats in the fridge. Nothing to think about. Pop a bowl in the nukerator, add some butter, a dash of salt, and maybe, if I'm feeling very adventurous, a small handful of currants. Like I said, nothing to think about.

So why did I make that off-the-cuff decision to break the routine this morning? Maybe it was that hearty chunk of seeded red wheat from Tabor Bread, left over from the weekend. Which in turn got me thinking about the sharp cheddar, sitting in the icebox right next to the pastured eggs. (Yes, I pay an outrageous amount of money for eggs laid by chickens who get to romp around the pasture, eating whatever bugs they find. There's a difference, from the rich taste to the deep yellow hue of the yolk. But I digress). Within minutes, toast, egg and cheese were on the table next to a steaming cup of french pressed medium roast.

Routines are important, and they're helpful. Especially in the classroom. But sometimes breaking with a routine can leave you with a fresh perspective, a heightened sense of energy that comes from taking a chance. It can even start with eggs over easy.

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes it is so refreshing to break out! I enjoyed your connection between your classroom and daily routines! This is a fun slice!

    Enjoy the unexpected!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, breaking from a routine once in awhile can freshen things up a bit! The description of the lovely breakfast (especially the French pressed coffee!) were irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, breaking from a routine once in awhile can freshen things up a bit! The description of the lovely breakfast (especially the French pressed coffee!) were irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This happens to me too! Usually I throw a handful of pre-steamed chard in a pan to scramble with two eggs, but sometimes the hefty wheat bread that I pick up at the farmer's market calls to me. Now if only I could find sharp cheddar in Venezuela....

    -Amanda at https://teachingwanderlust.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having routines saves time. Breaking them nudges creativity and is simply fun. I enjoyed your slice this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am fascinated by routines and rituals...especially of writers!flashes of creativity can happen in a change though. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete