Tuesday, March 7, 2017

#SOL17 Day 7 - The Countdown

The weather is wretched. The political climate is poisonous. Spring break is still weeks away. Just when despair is about to get the better of me, a friend passes through the doors of the school at the end of the day, wearing his orange and blue cap, flashes me a big smile, and says, "D'Arnaud hit another one today! If he keeps this up, it just might be a good year!" Cryptic message? To some, maybe, but to me it's a soul saving reminder that baseball is right around the corner, spring training has begun, and my Mets just might be on the verge of a very successful campaign.

And even if they tank, as they do more often than not, the yearly renewal of ritual and statistics nourishes me. It reminds me that spring is in sight, summer not far behind, and anything is possible. And living in Oregon, so far from the friendly confines of Citi Field in Flushing, makes it even sweeter to spot a friend, or even a stranger, wearing the orange and blue NY, raise a hand for a high five, and say those magic words, "Lets Go Mets!"

C'mon, April!

3 comments:

  1. It's wonderful when those moments happen!
    Spring will be here soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopeful Slice! We are New Yorkers and my husband is a long suffering Mets fan as he puts it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with him! Even though I'm on the opposite coast, most afternoons during the season I use my iPhone like an old transistor radio, listening to the game.

      Delete