Wednesday, March 22, 2017

#SOL17 22/31 - A Promise

I will never teach math in the afternoon again. I will never teach math in the afternoon again.

I switched up the schedule so I could have the iPad cart in the morning for social studies, which meant teaching math in the afternoon, right after recess. This did not go well.

I will never teach math in the afternoon again.

Aside from a couple of kids, they lacked energy, focus, stamina, and interest. And we had such a great morning. I pulled out all the stops - cheering them on! Egging them on! Having the heart to heart "we're really not connecting today. Can anybody think of a reason why?" talk. All I got were glassy stares, the wiggles, and requests to go to the bathroom. So.

I will never teach math in the afternoon again.

I guess there was a reason I taught it in the morning in the first place.

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like recess really wore the kids out! My suggestion: Never teach math in the afternoon again. Ha! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what, you should probably never teach math in the afternoon again! But seriously, we had that schedule one year and it is really tough! I've found reading and writing work better because they can kind of zone out a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think afternoons are tough in general, but I, too, have math in the morning and thought about moving it to the afternoon, but not so much after your slice :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good mantra. Your post made me remember my college math class right after lunch. It was the first time I fell asleep in a class...chin propped up my my hands, efforting to hold my eye lids open, my mind turning to jelly...a buzzing in my brain that made the math lecture zoom out into a tiny cartoon at the other end of the room. I'll never take another math class in the afternoon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I have heard many of my colleagues say the same thing. We are so much more alert in the mornings!

    ReplyDelete