Saturday, March 18, 2017

#SOL17 18/31 - Choices

I was the proverbial kid in the candy shop yesterday. But even better than the promise of candy, I was on the loose in Powell's City of Books with a big, fat gift card burning a hole in my wallet. Thankfully, I didn't have a lot of time to spend. The meter was running out, and we had someplace else to be, but for half an hour I was able to dive into the stacks.

My first stop was the Gold Room. My first inclination is always mystery/thriller/suspense. I'm a sucker for genre fiction. Especially when the real world crowds in from all sides, it's helpful to have some pure escapism. But that first inclination usually gives way to feelings of guilt - why go for the ground beef when filet mignon is available. There are so many classics I've never read, and so much contemporary literature that I'll never even know about. I need to to challenge myself more!

And then a glance at the phone told me my time was just about up. I was standing near a display of new paperback release, and the cover of Patti Smith's memoir "M Train" was at my fingertips. Done. For now. Like I said, it's a big, fat gift card. And there are plenty more rooms at the City of Books, waiting for me to explore.

2 comments:

  1. You have simply whet your appetite! We had a fabulous trip to Portland two summers ago (for a wedding) and I learned about Powells then. What a marvelous gift card to have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fascinating place! Too bad you ran out of time, but thank goodness you have a reason to come back! Don't let that hole get too big!

    ReplyDelete