Wednesday, March 15, 2017

#SOL17 15/31 Little Musical Slices

7:00 am in my classroom. Getting things ready (spinning my wheels, more often than not) for the day. But that's not really what I'm doing. It's just an excuse to put on my headphones and listen to music. This morning it's a new album by a band called Hurray for the Riff Raff, called The Navigator. A Folk-rock concept album that tells the story of one woman's Nuyorican experience. The lyrics are deep and meaningful, and the music loose, lively and at times Latin tinged. As I move about the empty classroom I lose myself in the lyrics, singing a little, dancing a bit (so glad I'm alone!). This is my space.

Music has always occupied an important spot in my life. It suffuses my day. During my commute, while I cook, when I bike around the city. The timeline of my life is marked by personal, musical milestones. Hearing my parents harmonize at home (Down By the Old Mill Stream, and other golden oldies). Having my first favorite am radio pop song ("Close to You" by The Carpenters). Discovering the 60's as a teenager in the 70's ("Stuck Inside of Memphis With the Memphis Blues Again"). Having my mind sonically blown on a front porch in Baltimore while at college (Talking Heads Remain in Light).

The soundtrack is an endless string of slices of life. After this week I'm on the downward slope of my 50's, but I don't feel it. I think a big reason is that I keep expanding that soundtrack. It grows richer, and more eclectic. And when it's done, it's going to be a doozy of a boxed set.



5 comments:

  1. Wow! Bravo to you for being so adventurous in your musical tastes! ~JudyK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing such a "real" musical piece. I was a sixties kid and my parent sang with their friends around a summer fireplace. Music .....it is what fills in and reminds us of lows---hope you continue to have wonderful music time in your room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last paragraph... what a beautiful idea to think of your life like a boxed set!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also on that downward slope of my 50s, but that is just on the outside. Once I hear those songs that are the soundtrack of my life, I am 16, 25, or 30 something again. Music is life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Music plays a special part in our memory banks. It seems I can go back in time in a flash with just a few notes of a song. I love the idea of "expanding that soundtrack!"

    ReplyDelete