Tuesday, March 14, 2017

#SOL17 14/31 - Writing. Not Easy

For the first time this month, I feel like I don't have it in me. But I do love the fact that this SOL challenge is doing just that - challenging me. Even on a night when I feel totally spent, and just want to lie back with the Daniel Silva spy thriller that's loaded onto my kindle app, I know that I have to write something.

Throughout my life, I've often thought of myself as a writer, until the other shoe drops and I say to myself, no you're not. To be a writer, you have to write. You can't just think about it. You have to do it. And I have a history of not doing it. But right now I am doing it. I'll be doing it tomorrow as well, and the day after that, whether I have anything worthwhile to say, or not.

And after this month? Maybe I should just take a page out of another book, and take it one day at a time.

8 comments:

  1. You are living the life of a writer ... and just writing. It may not be something we love and adore, but writing needs to connect with people and this certainly does. We have all been there or will be there soon ... writing a slice about not knowing what to write about or just not wanting to write! But you wrote anyways ... the biggest gift to ourselves as writers! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day at at a time! And one slice at a time! And before you know it, you'll have written every day of the month. Some of my students' best slices were about not knowing what to write. You went with it. I loved that advice you gave yourself from another book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what it is. It's writing, even when we don't feel like it that makes us writers. Here's to more writing tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delighted to see Michelle commented on this post. She's one of my go-to people to go to for inspiration when my creativity is feeling tapped-out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go, writer! I think it was Betsy Hubbard who shared this quote earlier in the month: "The act of writing stimulates thought, so when you cannot think of anything to write, start writing anyway. - Barbara Fine Clouse" That's what you did! Doesn't it make your realize why sometimes our students just stare blankly at paper? It is hard!

    ReplyDelete