Sunday, March 12, 2017

#SOL17 12/31 - Sunday, Where Did You Go?

Each weekend, I go through the same cycle of moods and emotions. Friday is a day of relief. I've made it to the week's finish line. Time to go home and collapse into the easy chair after dinner and a glass of wine. Family time (which includes the cat, napping on my chest!)

Saturday is the day for recharging. My wife and I start out with a yoga class, and a hearty breakfast. And then it's time to relax. Maybe some yard work, or a relaxing bike ride for me, weather permitting. Perhaps a movie in the evening. Enjoyment and contentment are the goals.

Sunday is the day to refocus, to start thinking about the week. Sunday is the day that I get up early, brew a pot of joe, and waste no time in starting to plot out my lessons and activities for the coming week. Well, in theory, at least. Because inevitably, the Sunday times crossword takes way longer than it should (who am I kidding, I rarely finish it). Or there's one more TV show I want to watch, or one more chapter to read in the book that I am reading solely for pleasure. And the day starts to slip away. That's when denial sets in. And sadness, that the weekend is almost over. And the conviction that next Sunday, darn it, I really will catch up on those papers! And.... who am I kidding? One more chapter....

7 comments:

  1. This is indeed the woeful cycle for many of us. Except today I completely abandoned my calendar plan to work on a presentation for next Saturday. I put the top down and drove to the hardware store and designed a rod adapter for mom's closet. So I remember when Sunday was called a day of rest.
    So glad you got your reading and resting in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was working, that was my cycle too. Friday evening was my favorite day of the week. Now I'm retired, Friday evening is no longer in that favored position. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always have plans to do certain activities on Sunday myself and then we never end up leaving the house! Fires, reading and good food was my Sunday this week! Not a bad thing but the weekends go faster and faster
    https://tammysreadinglife.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Sunday description reminds of an old friend/teacher (now deceased, born about 1920) who had the expression - "having the Ed Sullies," that feeling of 'oh no' about the end of the weekend and the approach of the new week; it occurred when the Ed Sullivan show would come on each Sunday night. We teachers know how to use our weekends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I remember the Ed Sullivan show as a marker on Sunday nights growing up. Sometimes, it was Mission Impossible. In fact, every time 5:00 pm rolled around, I got that Sunday night feeling that the weekend was over and the week's routine was about to start. I get that feeling less and less now.

      Delete
  5. There is something to be said about routine being a comfort...but I guess there is something to be said about procrastination being a release, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rand, I could have written this post! That is exactly what my weekend looks like. I wonder if it would be different if we had a 3-day weekend? Would we use our time differently? I don't know, but I've often wondered about that. I love my Friday nights of not doing any school-related stuff, too.

    ReplyDelete