Saturday, March 11, 2017

3SOL17 Day 11 - Every Other Friday

Last night - Shabbat dinner. Every other Friday is a special night. It's the Friday of the weekend M, my stepdaughter, spends at home. The other Fridays my wife and I might light candles, split a mini bottle of wine, root out a stale piece of bread to stand in for the challah. But on M's Friday we order the real thing. And M insists that mommy cook a feast, dessert included.

Full disclosure - in our household, I'm the cook. My wife keeps the books. Cooking a big meal puts her in high anxiety mode. But for her daughter, she wades into the kitchen fray, like a trooper.

Back to last night. Corned beef and cabbage. Yes, it was a week too early, but M won't be here on St. Patty's Day - my birthday - so we set the clock ahead by a week. Lest the Sabbath meal get a little too Catholic, we also had kasha varnishkas. Dessert? homemade rugelach. By eight o'clock, M was passed out on the sofa, exhausted from another week of 12th grade. I was snoozing on the la-z-boy, cat on my chest, exhausted from another week of 3rd graders. Soon we would rouse ourselves for a little family TV time. So unexciting. So wonderful.


11 comments:

  1. Sounds like a perfect weekend celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you move posts here from another site? If so, I owe you an apology! I am on the welcome wagon, and you were on my list. In the beginning, I went to another site and could not comment. I didn't know you had moved to here as this was not the link I was given.

    Sometimes Friday nights need to be unexciting in order to appreciate the wonderfulness of our blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And no apology needed. I moved my posts from the class kidblog page to Blogger. Stacey had reached out to me about it. I've really been enjoying the SOLing.

      Delete
  3. Good food and even better company makes for a great evening. Even though some say it might be boring. I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing beats good food, family being together, even napping a bit before family TV time! Love the way you captured the wonderful evening together. "So unexciting. So wonderful." This slice makes me sigh, it's about the most important things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trust me, I'm all for a good meal with dessert, family time and uneventful. Sounds like the perfect night for me, especially after a long busy week. Thanks for writing today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can really know it's family love when everyone feels so cozy that they take a nap. I like the way you ended the post, "So unexciting. So wonderful."

    ReplyDelete
  7. The last lines capture it all. You really can feel the love and special effort that happens for M in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds wonderful! And delicious. I love the words you use to describe your wife and cooking and her willingness to do it for her daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Homemade rugelach! Fabulous! I think the image of you and your stepdaughter passed out by 8pm is classic for all of us teachers and students alike on a Friday night.

    ReplyDelete